WHY CHOOSE FIRELINE?
- Exceeds WUI Standards
- Available In All Product Lines
- Lifetime Protection
- All Natural Solution
Defensive Solutions For Fire
With the increasing prevalence of forest fires in and around urban communities, Montana Timber Products set to work and developed two unique fire-conscious offerings that are first-of-their-kind on the market. These two innovative treatment solutions protect your home from fire without sacrificing the character and beauty inherit to natural wood. We understand that architects, developers, builders, and homeowners need help with code compliant materials in wildfire zones, commonly referred to as the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI).
What is WUI?
The Wildland Urban Interface is the zone of transition between unoccupied land and human development. It is the line, area or zone where structures and other human development meet or intermingle with undeveloped wildland or vegetative fuels. The WUI is not a place, but a set of conditions that can exist in nearly every state in the country.
The two solutions MTP has developed have been designed to meet state and international guidelines on fire protection, without sacrificing the integrity of genuine wood siding on nature-adjacent structures. We offer these two solutions at different prices, and they are intended for different needs.
Pressure-Treated Fire Treatment
We offer an option to treat your natural wood material through a certified pressure-treatment process. This treatment exceeds the most stringent fire suppression standards, such as building in areas designated by the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) code.
Fireline treatment uses a vacuum pressure impregnation process to remove moisture and air from the wood cells and replace it with safe, environmentally friendly additives. The enhanced product is then thermally cured, to lock the additives into the wood cells. When the process is complete, the cellular structure of the wood has been altered to make it an enhanced fire-resistant wood product.
The patented fire-resistant formula used in Fireline products bonds to the interior structure of the wood during a vacuum-impregnated treatment process. The result is fire protection that lasts for the useful life of the wood product itself. Products never need to be re-treated. Fireline is composed of all-natural elements that are not toxic to the environment.
See specification sheet for more information.
Things to consider with Fireline™:
- There will be a variation of colors caused by the Fireline treatment. The tint coloration and its interaction with treated lumber are not predictable, and we cannot completely control the color once the wood has been treated. Approval of Fireline samples is essential in the design process.
- Can be applied to siding, soffit, fascia, trim, timbers, posts, beams, and decking.
- Fireline adds approx. 6-8 weeks to the lead time of a project.
Spray-Applied Fire Treatment
We can treat your wood materials with an invisible, Class A-Rated fire retardant that reduces the flame spread and smoke development. The specialized non-toxic formula we use is UL Greenguard Gold Certified with low VOC content and emissions. Once properly coated, dried, and cured into the wood substrate, in our facility, it is permanent and never needs to be reapplied. If your structure is in a wildfire-prone region, our spray-applied fire treatment offers peace of mind protection for your prefinished natural wood components.
Thing to Consider with Spray-Applied:
- Must be applied prior to any other coating products.
- It can have a very subtle color change when combined with some of our stains. Control samples may be needed.
- It is a formulated Class A-Rated fire retardant, however, it is not currently Wildland Urban Interface compliant.
- The treatment is permanent and does not require reapplication.